OmniAccess Stellar access points managed in Enterprise mode with OmniVista 2500 server enable new IoT services on the WLAN infrastructure. This is the first use case of Zigbee wireless protocol on Stellar infrastructure. This level of integration with existing IoT systems on the market allows ALE to provide a turnkey IoT solution. The first vertical to benefit from this level of integration is hospitality.
Stellar IoT-enabled access points
The Stellar WLAN solution extends beyond Wi-Fi by implementing BLE and Zigbee wireless protocols, enabling new IoT-related services for a growing number of IoT devices in the Enterprise.
Today, the following Stellar access points are equipped with a dedicated BLE/Zigbee radio:
- Stellar Wi-Fi 5: AP1201
- Stellar Wi-Fi 6: AP1360 series, AP1320 series and AP1311
What is Zigbee technology?
Zigbee is a secure WPAN network technology, a self-healing wireless mesh particularly suited to IoT needs in the industry and at home. The Zigbee specification is based on the IEEE 802.15.4 standard on the 2.4GHz band (Zigbee is also available on the 868-915MHz band).
- It is designed for battery-powered, low power consumption and stand-alone equipment.
- Equipment is simple to use.
- It requires low data rates.
- The standard is secured with encrypted communication.
- It does not interfere with the Wi-Fi radio.
The typical Zigbee use cases include residential or building automation, industrial automation and smart cities:
- Smart buildings and in-home automation: security, light control, HVAC systems, door locks systems
- Business and industrial automation: asset management, asset tracking, energy management, stock management.
To learn more about Zigbee technology, refer to the zigbee community web page.
Zigbee IoT devices management in OmniVista
The digital door lock integration is the first Zigbee use case on Stellar WLAN. This integration enables centralized management of all digital door locks in a building. An application of Zigbee IoT devices would be in a hotel through their automated connection and communication via the Stellar WLAN. This solution is supported in Enterprise mode with an OmniVista 2500 server.
OmniVista 2500 server integrates a ZCS module (Zigbee Coordinator Service) which allows a Stellar AP group to be a Zigbee coordinator for all connected devices.
OmniVista manages the activation of the Zigbee coordinator, centralizes the onboarding of Zigbee devices via ZCS and manages Zigbee devices onboarding in the same manner as other IoT devices managed in OmniVista:
- Automatic and secure Zigbee devices onboarding
- Discovery of Zigbee IoT devices, devices inventory and monitoring
Once Zigbee communication has been established and the door lock system has been configured in OmniVista, the door lock system control is done through its dedicated management platform. IT staff can monitor the status of digital door locks through the management platform and manage specific permissions through a staff card.
- The digital door lock is connected to the Stellar access points through the 802.15.4 radio, and a ZigBee coordinator is activated for the access point.
- Once Zigbee connection is established, ZCS is responsible for communication between the door lock and the Stellar access point (through WMA). ZCS also handles the communication between the door lock management platform and the Zigbee coordinator (http).
- OmniVista 2500 manages Zigbee IoT device onboarding through the same ZCS module.
To conclude, IoT-enabled Stellar WLAN solution combined with the IoT onboarding features of Omnivista 2500 brings the Zigbee wireless solution with following benefits:
- Secure IOT equipment on-boarding, and centralized IT management of equipment connected to Stellar infrastructure.
- Improved Guest experience in hospitality, with a flexible management and improved Security Control.
- An installation on Stellar WLAN infrastructure which reduces equipment, installation, and maintenance costs.