How do I create an AP Group with three AP1101

Hello together,

I have three AP1101 AccessPoints and all three of them are working standalone with 8 different SSID's in a VLan environment. Now I want to create an AP Group to manage all three of them with one Connection. But I don't know how to connect the three to one AP Group. Could someone please help me with this Problem?

Greetings from Germany Matthias Just

Hello Matthias,

do you want to deploy your 3 APs in Enterprise mode (with OmniVista on top of them) or in Express mode (standalone mode, with management handled by one of the APs, elected as PVM or Primary Virtual Manager) ?

Hello,

I don't have an OmniVista licence. I don't know what I want... ;-)) What's the best? I thought all three Access Points should send the same 8 SSID's with the same Password so the WLAN is widly spreaded all over my house. In this case I thought an AP Group make sense in order not to lose the Connection when I walk from the ground floor to the second floor. I thought the Access Point can handle it much better when all three Access Points are connected together. But if not I will manage each one in standanlone mode.

Greetings from Germany Matthias Just

If all your AP's are deployed in the same IP subnet and running in "Express mode", they should automatically join to a group. Now, to setup your "Virtual controller Address", you must identify your PVC AP (Click on the gear next to the AP section) and connect to the master IP address. Once logged in, go in the System section and configure the Group parameters. After havig saved the configuration, you will have access to central management of all existing and future AP's added to the group.

Hi Matthias, the simplest way, and assuming all APs are connected to the same VLAN, just simply power-off any two APs of the three (write down the IP address of the one up). Then power on one of them, once just powered on, press the reset button for 6 seconds, the lights in the AP will start flashing, meaning it has been Factory-Defaulted. Once it boots up again, will automatically join the living AP (please write down its IP address, so you can access it to manage the AP-Group). Now you should have two APs in the AP-Group, just repeat the process for the third once: Power On and press the reset button for 6 seconds, till the AP flashes. Then the three APs must be in the same AP-Group. Now you can access the PVC (the IP address of the AP that was up all the time) and configure a "floating" IP address to manage the AP-Group. Pointing to that IP address will ensure you are always connecting with the PVC.

Hello,

I don’t have an OmniVista licence. I don’t know what I want… ;-)) What’s the best? I thought all three Access Points should send the same 8 SSID’s with the same Password so the WLAN is widly spreaded all over my house. In this case I thought an AP Group make sense in order not to lose the Connection when I walk from the ground floor to the second floor. I thought the Access Point can handle it much better when all three Access Points are connected together. But if not I will manage each one in standanlone mode.

Greetings from Germany
Matthias Just